Work and Holiday Downunder – earn money during your trip!

Many travellers plan to work and holiday Downunder, to help pay for their adventures around Australia. For more about the Working Holiday Maker (WHM) program, check out this Quick Guide for Working Holiday Makers.

We have prepared this page including all contained links which applies to:

  • Subclass 417 (Working Holiday) visas, and
  • Subclass 462 (Work and Holiday) visas.

There is a lot of information to research about WHM Visas and rules, and this information can change.

What are the recent changes for Working Holiday Makers?

8th May 2021, WHM Visa holders working in the Tourism and Hospitality sectors may now work for up to 12 months with the same employer without seeking further permission.

15th December 2021, fully vaccinated eligible WHM Visa holders can come to Australia without needing to apply for a travel exemption​. For more information, see the Australian Department of Immigration’s latest news.

1st January 2022, the Australian Federal Government eased some rules relating to WHM Visas for travellers intending to work in Australia. These rule changes are good news for backpackers and travellers, because you will be allowed to work more and earn more each week.

Work more, Earn more!

WHM Visa holders can now work more if they want to earn more money to pay for their holiday.

From March 2022, WHM Visa holders will enjoy a nil Visa Application Charge (VAC) if they apply for a WHM Visa. So you can earn more and save more too!

Why have Working Holiday Visa rules changed?

In response to the affects of Covid-19 on the Australian economy, the Australian Federal Government (Office of Home Affairs, Department of Immigration) has made changes to its immigration policy. These changes are expected to help with labour shortages, by making more people available for work.

Information for Work and Holiday Maker (WHM) Visa holders

Mulgas Adventures cannot give advice on WHM or any other type of Visa for international visitors, but we do hope that this page is helpful. If you have further questions, we encourage you to seek further information from the Department of Immigration. For feedback about this page please contact us.